Thursday, January 20, 2011

Happy Martin Luther King Day

Happy Martin Luther King Day


I know MLK day was Monday but I think every day is a representation of his influence on our lives.
One of my favorite quotes: “In the End we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”-Martin Luther King Jr

One of the first times I saw this quote was at the beginning of a move called Sometimes in April. A movie about the Hutu’s and the Tutsi’s the  Rwandan GENOCIDE. As I watch this movie about betrayal, destruction, hurt, sadness and ultimately GENOCIDE. I realized how perfectly fitting this quote was for this movie. I cried as I usually do when I watch  sad movies but the fact this was real and really happened saddens me as well. I remember back in college in my Gender race and crime class our professor showed us actual footage of the GENOCIDE in Rwanda and that brought a tear to my eye as well.







Martin Luther King played a big role in how things are today we just have to make sure we do not let history repeat itself.

Random Facts about Martin Luther King:

·         Behind Every man is a strong Woman: Coretta Scott King


·         Martin Luther King adapted a lot of his non violent practices from Gandhi  (Satyagraha)

·         Martin Luther King was an Alpha
·         He attended Morehouse College in Atlanta Georgia
·         He graduated from college at 19
·         He attended Boston University working to get his PHD this is where he met his wife Coretta Scott soon to be King  
A few pictures from my trip to Atlanta:













Martin Luther king’s memorial and the outside of Ebenezer’s Baptist church. Unfortunately the church was under renovation so we were unable to go inside. Our tour guide told us that some family members still attend the church. We also visited his 12 bedroom house up the street that he grew up in. so happy I was able to see these things when I went to Atlanta.

 Hate is a disease the cure for it is love that’s it XOXOXOXO IZZY